Dianetics The Original Thesis
|Dianetics The Original Thesis|
|Author||L Ron Hubbard|
|Type of Article||Category:Basic Scientology|
For a digital version of the book go to: [Free Download]
The 1951 and 1967 editions of the book have a forword which is not in the above PDF version. It is written by the editor and in the 1967 version is dated 1951. This forword reads:
- "This is the first manuscript on Dianetics, written quite some time before DIANETICS: The Modern Science of Mental Health. When your editor first heard that such a manuscript did in actuality exist, he begged L.Ron Hubbard to let him read it. Hubbard demurred. He felt that Dianetics had come a long way since that writing, and that the work would be better sealed and placed in the archives of the Foundation, unread.
- "Finally, after much persuasion, Hubbard did permit it to be read. From that day on he was met with a barrage of suggestions to the effect that others would enjoy it too, and that it belonged in the library of every person who has taken a profound interest in Dianetics. Why not publish the manuscript for exactly what it is: The original thesis of Dianetics? True, it may be a far cry from Dianetics as we know it today, but how fascinating it is to read and pick from its pages the basis for the various modern techniques. The term "basic basic," for instance, can be seen to almost cry out for adoption, and others such as "holders," "bouncers," and the like are all there, hidden, but with their feet sticking out, so to speak. [The last sentence appeared in the 1951 version and not in the 1967 version]
- "And then one day, in a moment of high good humour that might easily have been tone four, Hubbard said to go ahead and publish it. The manuscript was in the hands of a linotypist within the hour.
- "The reader can easily recognise the extraordinary task it must have been to evolve the science and what is even more difficult, to communicate it to others once its effectiveness was proven. [This sentence/paragraph is not in the 1951 version]
- "The only editing given this manuscript was that of changing some of the words of the original terminology to those in use today; for instance, the word engram was originally an "impediment". The original continuity of thought has not been altered.
- "The reader can see for himself the sum of the "Wildcat" techniques which enjoyed a brief popularity were known to Hubbard very early, and that he discarded them as deficient in some form or other. The reader can also recognise the prodigious task must have been to evolve the science, what was even more difficult, to communicate it to others once its effectiveness was proven.
- "The only editing given this manuscript was that of changing some of the words of the original terminology to those in use today; for instance, the word engram was originally an "impediment." The original continuity or thought has not been altered.
- "This, then is the original Dianetics. Read it, and enjoy it as much as we at the Foundation have enjoyed it. And may it further deepen our respect for the man who has given us the means to be self-determined!
- "THE EDITOR
- "1951" [Date not in the 1967 edition]
There was an edition of the book in 1951 and in 1967 (the the thumbnail picture of the cover is from the 1967 edition). A number of changes were made after 2007, and these are catalogued in detail at [] . At [] there is a Scientolipedia page concerned with the changes which were made at that time.
1951 LRH books[edit | edit source]
In 1951 L. Ron Hubbard published five books. They are in order of publication:
Science of Survival , published August 1, 1951 [].
Self Analysis, published August 1951 [].
Dianetics The Original Thesis , written in 1948, published 1951
Child Dianetics, published October 1951 [].
Handbook For Preclears, published December 1951 []