Church of Scientology DMCA Takedown of Scientolipedia
|Church of Scientology DMCA Takedown of Scientolipedia|
|Type of Article||Category:Editorials|
Update[edit | edit source]
On November 9, 2015 the site owner(s) were notified of the following from the hosting company:
- "The 10 business days required by the DMCA have elapsed and we have yet to receive notice of a filed injunction against the restoration of this content. The restrictions on this domain have been removed at this time. We will notify you should this change."
complaint[edit | edit source]
On October 22, 2015 Scientolipedia.org received a DMCA notice.
The notice gives us 48 hours to respond or else the site's ISP will remove the content. (this likely means shutting down the site as the only way they can ensure the content is not replaced)
The notice came on a Thursday night, a clever strategy for the church as it leaves less than one workday, a Friday at that, in which to secure legal help to deal with the matter.
We're posting the notice from our ISP and the church's list of alleged infringing materials below.
We will deal with this outrageous and futile attempt to keep the materials and knowledge of Scientology from those who would want access to them. The church's suppressive efforts will fail but any help you can give is much appreciated.
We need help in the following areas:
- Legal - expertise in dealing with DMCA and/or copyright issues.
- Technical - server admin skills and/or web software experience.
- Financial - your donations will help with legal and technical defense measures to ensure the tech and our ability to use it as we see fit stays free. Use the PayPal button to the right and if you have other fundraising ideas, please get in touch.
- Note - Content on this site may disappear within 48 hours! There's no reason to believe that the torrents themselves will disappear. But the links to them will probably be gone soon.
contact[edit | edit source]
Send email inquiries to email@example.com
ISP notification[edit | edit source]
We have received a Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") complaint involving domains under your control. Please note that we have only passed on the sufficiency of the Claimant's notice, per 17 U.S.C. Sec. 512, and have not sought to determine whether the Infringing Materials on the Web Site do indeed infringe upon the Claimant's intellectual property rights.
Within a forty-eight (48) hour period, we will need you to remove, or disable access to, the material that is claimed to be infringing or we will have to disable this material to be in compliance with federal DMCA laws. A copy of the original DMCA notice is listed below our contact information.
Under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, your rights as a Respondent to this complaint include, but are not limited to, a possible counter-notification to us, per 17 U.S.C. Sec. 512(g)(3). We encourage you to review the federal statutory procedures for filing a counter-notification and seeking legal advice to see if taking such an action would be appropriate. We cannot provide individual legal advice, and do not analyze your particular website or activity for the legality of its content.
You may send a counter-notification using postal mail or fax; email is not accepted.
Our postal address is:" (omitted for this web post)